Maria Iorillo, Licensed Midwife
Catching babies at home and assisting hospital births in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1986
The special care of a midwife means:
- Comprehensive prenatal and postpartum care
- Continuous support and monitoring throughout labor and birth
- Prenatal counseling to build a foundation of confidence, trust and comfort
- Acknowledgment of hopes, fears and expectations of birth
- Working together to understand and experience the beauty and power of birth
- Postpartum support for breastfeeding and family bonding
The Midwives Model of Care is based on the fact that pregnancy and birth are normal life processes.
The Midwives Model of Care includes:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological, and social well-being of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support
- Minimizing technological interventions
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention
The application of this woman-centered model of care has been proven to reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma, and cesarean section.
Copyright (c) 1996-2007, Midwifery Task Force, Inc., All Rights Reserved.